Here you can find a compilation of the support available for parents and carers working in the performing arts. It includes bespoke PiPA resources, industry guidance and external support. It is important to remember that PiPA works very closely with the 50+ organisations on its Charter Programme, helping them to implement family-friendly working practices and policies that support the parents and carers in their workforce. If you cannot find the support you need below, PiPA encourages you see if your organisation participates in PiPA's Charter Programme, as they may already have the required support available, or PiPA can support them to develop it.
You can find a full list of our Partners here.
If you need any further guidance or help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Working from Home with Children
- It's Time to Talk to Your Manager About Caring
- 5 Top Tips for Talking About Your Caring Role at Work
- Quick Facts for Employers of Parents
Please note that organisations offering financial support are listed here.
- Actors' Children's Trust: Offers financial, practical and emotional support to actor parents.
- Acting for Others: provides financial and emotional support to all theatre workers in times of need through the 14 member charities.
- Artsadmin: Offering a unique and free one-to-one advice service to UK-based artists working in contemporary performance, at any stage of their career.
- Artsmind: provides mental health support to arts industry professionals.
- BECTU: union for staff, contract and freelancer workers in the media and entertainment industries.
- Equity: the union for actors, singers, dancers, designers, directors, stage managers, puppeteers, comedians, voice artists, and variety performers.
- Help Musicians: An independent UK charity supporting professional musicians of all genres.â€‹
- Incorporated Society of Musicians: The UK's professional body for musicians. Offers legal support, professional development support, expert advice and more.
- Musicians Union: union for muisicans, working to protect our members' rights and campaign for a fairer music industry.
- Stage Management Association: The trade association for stage managers, providing advocacy and support.
- The Theatre Helpline: a free, independent and confidential phone and email service that provides support to people working in the theatre industry.
- The Theatrical Guild: provides financial, practical and emotional support for backstage and front of house workers.
- The Royal Theatrical Fund: Support for people of all ages who have worked in the entertainment industry and are in need as a result of illness, accident or old age.
- UK Theatre: the UK’s leading theatre and performing arts membership organisation. They support organisations and individuals in the performing arts througb training, resources, events and other professional services.
Family Friendly Resources:
- Carers UK: offering support and advice to caers across the UK.
- Working Families: they have a free helpline through which they can offer free advice about employment rights and in-work benefits for parents, carers and their advisers.
- Gingerbread: offers free advice and practical support for single parents.
- Pregnant then Screwed: Support for women who have faced maternity or pregnancy discrimination, including free legal advice and a mentorship scheme.
- Mencap: support and advice for individuals with learning disabilities and their parents and/or carers.
- Scope: provides practical and emotional support for disabled individuals and their parents and/or carers.